Did you know that genetics is not the only determinant of your overall height? In fact, there are several factors contributing to your height growth. While genetic factors only determine 30-60% of your final height, other environmental factors such as nutrition, race, and living environment account for the remaining percentage. Besides, it is generally thought that a person stops growing taller after he/she goes through puberty and one cannot do anything to increase height as an adult. Notwithstanding this, there are certain things that you can do throughout adolescence to maximize your height potential and by continuing these as an adult, you can promote your well-being as well as retain your height.
Before we start with our list of 10 easy ways to increase height quickly at home, it is worthwhile to understand thoroughly what factors are influential on a person’s height regardless of their gender.
What are the factors influencing height growth?
- Genes: As the blueprint of all living organisms, genes are responsible for most of the physical attributes of a person, ranging from their complexion, weight, and body structure to hair color, eye color, and obviously, height.
- Hormones: In addition to genes, hormones also play a significant role in the growth of the body as they determine the activities of different organs within your body. The pituitary gland controls the production of various hormones, including growth hormone (also known as human growth hormone or HGH). Growth hormone is instrumental in increasing your height and constructing your bones and muscles.
- Nutrition: Nutrition is essential to the growth of a person. From childhood to adolescence, people should consume proper foods that contribute to their height growth.
- Race: A person’s race does majorly determine their height. Racial factors engender certain differences in terms of physical appearance such as the body structure, hair color, eyes, and height increase.
- Living environment: Not only does pollution bring about serious issues for human beings but it is also detrimental to your height growth.
10 ways to increase height quickly at home
As mentioned above, nutrition is one of the key external factors that can influence human height growth. Since slow growth and poor height can be attributed to inadequate nutrition, it is important that you follow a balanced diet to simultaneously achieve a well-built body and increase your height, especially during the growing years. Yet, it should be noted that what you eat is what counts. It is not the quantity of the food but the quality that matters.
To attain the optimum height, make sure your body receives an ample amount of calcium, protein, vitamins, magnesium, zinc, and phosphorus as these are the principal requirements to increase height. Specific foods containing said nutrients include:
- Soybean and soy products
- Nuts and seeds
- Green leafy vegetables
- Dairy products.
Incorporating these foods into your dietary intake will also boost your immune system. Given that specific illness during childhood can cause stunted growth, it is imperative to ensure the proper function of the immune system through routine immunization and consumption of a balanced nutritious diet with a healthy dose of Vitamin C, omega-3 fatty acids and antioxidants.
You can also get sufficient Vitamin D, a crucial substance for the development of the bones, from our food suggestion. Once absorbed into the bones, Vitamin D works with other nutrients such as calcium to produce a more potent structure for growth hormone to unleash its power and eventually for you to grow taller. Considering the importance of Vitamin D to your height growth, apart from consuming Vitamin D-rich foods, try to spend at least one hour in direct sunlight every day. Be careful not to go outdoors too late in the morning or else you are exposed to the sun’s UV and other harmful rays.
This traditional herbal remedy is widely believed to be one of the most effective ways to increase height quickly at home for adolescents. The ingredient needed, also referred to as Indian Ginseng or Withania Somnifera, can be easily purchased from any pharmaceutical or drug stores. When used in dried and powdered form, the herb provides your body with many minerals, thereby protecting your bones and tissues as well as increasing height.
Upon acquiring powdered Ashwagandha, mix it in a cup of cow’s milk. You can also add a little sugar to this mixture. Have this drink before going to bed every day for 45 days to see the result. It is advisable that you avoid oily and spicy foods, smoking, alcohol, drug, as well as excess consumption of tea and coffee during this period.
Another way to increase height quickly at home is by working on your posture. A bad posture leads to adverse consequences for your body because it affects the spinal cord and hinders your maximum height growth, whereas a proper posture allows you to achieve the optimum height growth, and even makes you look taller by up to 2-3 inches.
To practice proper posture, bear in mind the following points:
- Always ensure that your head and neck are aligned completely without any bending or slouching.
- While walking, keep your back straight with your head up and shoulders down and wide. Walking with rounded shoulders and a hunched back will only make you appear shorter than you really are, and it by degrees results in permanent height loss.
- Refrain yourself from slouching while sitting. A persistent effort will routinely get you this habit.
- While standing, spread your legs and stand straight while holding your hands close to your body. Try not to put your hands in the pocket as it will cause your shoulders to slump.
- Get yourself a mattress that is neither soft enough to sink your body into the bed nor hard enough to trigger uneven body fat distribution.
One of the most efficient ways to increase height quickly at home is to practice yoga regularly. On top of boosting height, yoga also helps you attain the optimum weight and makes you feel calm and focused. In essence, yoga delivers improved physical and mental health. There are several yoga exercises that concentrate specifically on the muscles of your spine and back, which enables your bones to grow stronger and extends your body to promote height growth, namely:
- Surya Namaskar
- Adho Mukha Svanasana
- Bidalasana or Cat Pose
- Chakrasana or Wheel Pose
- Sarvangasana and Headstand.
Most of the time in your day is spent in a vertical position, which presents a huge hurdle for height growth as it compresses your spine and joints. Certain exercises are designed to stretch your spine and make you grow taller, including:
- Bar hanging
- Pelvic shift
- Dry land swim
- Rope skipping.
How many times were you mad at your mom for forcing you to sleep early when you were a kid? We have all been there but little did we know that sleep is absolutely vital to our height growth. In fact, it is during sleep that growth hormone in your body is produced at peak levels. Therefore, pay more attention to the quality of your sleep to ensure you achieve your potential height. A good night’s sleep can do wonders for your overall health, and if you cannot, try these tips to rest well at night:
- Drink a cup of chamomile tea before bed. This will help relax your mind and induce sleep.
- Take a warm bath just before sleeping as a sudden fall in human body temperature makes you fall asleep more easily.
Normally regarded as the most unassuming natural remedy for height growth, water is just as powerful as any other height-increasing method. Particularly, the body needs water to flush out a number of toxins accumulated, thanks to which it can function properly and develop your height. Besides, as improper metabolism interferes with height development, a well-hydrated body can avoid this problem and allow you to achieve your height potential. What is more, water is pivotal to the digestive system, the medium by which nutrients for height growth are absorbed into the body. It is best to drink 2 liters of water every day to see a noticeable impact. You can also eat water-rich foods such as celery, cucumber, watermelon, etc.
If you have already tried these above methods and are still not satisfied with your height, you can take advantage of your clothes to look taller. Here are some dressing tips to look taller:
- Mini-skirts or mini-dresses will always make you appear taller.
- Wear shoes that are close in color to your pants.
- Wear a solid long coat in the fall and winter.
- Wear monochromatic clothes.
- Choose shoes without ankle straps.
- Wear well-fitting clothes.
Short people are subject to feelings of paranoia, inferiority, and excessive mistrust. However, it is self-confidence that influences how others perceive one person, whether they are tall or not. Indeed, without confidence, even a tall person stands nowhere in this world. Self-confidence enables you to participate more in physical activities and contributes to your decisions regarding your interests and hobbies. It also encourages you to make a mark for yourself, irrespective of your stature. Hence, instead of seeking the answer to how to increase height, try to build your confidence and you will see the difference.
Factors that stunt growth
Although these techniques will increase height quickly at home, there are a few things that you should avoid in order not to stunt your growth, including:
- All sorts of carbonated drinks
- Excessive sugar and saturated fats
- Smoking and drinking
- Too much coffee and tea
You can follow these tips to increase height quickly at home and boost your self-confidence. It is undeniable that genes are something we cannot alter; still, you can practically influence your height in your favor with simple and easy practices such as leading a healthy and clean lifestyle, consuming nutritious foods and a balanced diet, getting proper sleep, doing exercises regularly and avoiding factors that stunt growth. As the saying goes, perseverance and patience can ultimately lead you to success.