6 tips to increase height with yoga at home
Good height not only brings about physical advantages but it is also linked to higher IQs and a more positive outlook on life. Human height is dependent upon both genetic and non-genetic factors such as living environment, exercise, and nutrition.
Yoga has been practiced for holistic well-being since time immemorial but you will be surprised to know that yoga can also be used to increase height. This means that you may still have a chance to get taller with yoga, especially during puberty. The following yoga poses will ensure you can add a few extra inches to your height and boost your overall body development.
Hastapadasana (Hand-to-foot pose)
If the upper part of your body is shorter than the lower part, you need to practice this yoga pose regularly as it is known to work on every part of your body by elongating the spine and stretching the hamstring, thereby allowing you to gain more height and look better. Besides, Hastapadasana also tones your abdomen and invigorates your nervous system by increasing the blood supply.
How to do:
- Stand straight with your feet together and arms alongside your body.
- Balance your weight equally on both feet.
- Breathe in and extend your arms overhead.
- Breathe out, then bend forward and down toward your feet.
- Stay in the posture for 20-30 seconds and continue to breathe deeply.
- Keep your legs and spine straight while resting your hands on the floor, beside your feet or on your legs.
- Upon breathing out, move your chest towards the knees, lift your hips and tailbone higher; press your heels down, let your head relax, and move it gently towards the feet.
- Keep breathing deeply.
- Breathe in, stretch your arms forward, then slowly come up to the standing position.
- Breathe out and return to the first position.
Sukhasana (Easy pose)
The Easy pose, also known as the Pleasant pose or Decent pose, is the fundamental posture of yoga upon which all other postures are based. By practicing this asana regularly, you can take control of your breathing. It also helps in toning up your lower back as well as the hip region, which eventually boosts your height by decompressing the cartilage.
How to do:
- Start by sitting on the floor with your legs extended.
- Bend the left leg inward from the knee and tug it inside the right thigh.
- Then, bend the right leg inward and tug it inside the left thigh.
- Place your hands on your knees and practice Chin mudra or Jnana mudra with your palms.
- Keep your spine straight and sit erect.
- Stay relaxed and breathe normally.
- Hold the posture for as long as you are comfortable with it.
Chakrasana (Wheel pose)
Also referred to as Urdhva Dhanurasana, Chakrasana is another extremely useful growing taller yoga practice for maximum height growth. It involves bending over in a backward direction similar to a “chakra” or “wheel” in order to build up strength and flexibility.
Hence, the elasticity of the spinal cord increases a great deal and your body becomes highly pliable, both of which contribute significantly to height increase. This asana also counteracts the typical sitting posture by opening the chest, shoulders, and hips.
How to do:
- Lie down on the floor. Prop up your knees and keep the flats of your feet planted on the ground, close to your bottom. Make sure that your feet are parallel and hip-width apart.
- Fold your arms and bring the palms underneath your shoulders. Your fingers should be pointing towards your feet.
- Breathe in and press your palms as well as your feet against the floor while lifting the shoulders and hips off it. Your elbows should be parallel to each other.
- Now, lift your head off the floor while straightening your arms. Keep your feet parallel and your knees in line with them.
- Straighten your legs slowly and hold the pose for 30 seconds.
- Return to the first position by lowering your body gently.
- It should be noted that as it is a backbend, you should practice it nearly at the end of a yoga session. This posture should always be done after a mild twist or forward bend.
Tadasana (Mountain pose)
To increase height yoga is proven highly effective for many people, especially the Mountain pose. It is one of the easiest yoga postures that you can practice as a beginner to increase your height. As a foundational pose for all standing yoga postures, it has been found to make the spinal cord and limbs (arms and legs) stronger. It also helps in making the whole body agile, which is really beneficial to height growth.
How to do:
- Stand erect on the floor with your feet slightly apart and your arms at the sides of your body. Your weight must be evenly distributed on both of your feet.
- Breathe in deeply, stretch your arms straight overhead, and interlock your fingers.
- Lift your heels off the floor and stand on your toes while keeping your arms upwards.
- Feel the stretch in the region from your toes to your fingers and hold the pose for as long as you can. Maintain slow and deep breathing.
- Now, breathe out deeply and return to the first position.
Vrikshasana (Tree pose)
When it comes to growing taller with a robust yoga practice, Vrikshasana is deemed a great option. It requires focus and concentration to practice this steady and grounded stance of a tree. The asana targets your calf and leg muscles, thereby toughening them. The stronger these muscles are, the higher your chance of gaining height is.
How to do:
- Stand on the floor with your feet 2 inches apart. Also, fix your eyes on a point in front of you and breathe naturally.
- While breathing out, lift your left foot off the floor. Keep your right leg straight but do not lock the knee.
- Bend your left knee and bring the sole of your left foot high onto your inner right thigh.
- Press your foot into your thigh and your thigh back into your foot with equal pressure.
- Breathe in and stretch your arms upwards. Join your palms in the form of prayer.
- Keep breathing deeply.
- Hold the pose for as long as you are comfortable with it.
- Breathe out slowly while bringing the arms down by your sides and the left foot down to the floor.
- Repeat the steps for your other foot.
Trikonasana (Triangle pose)
Another way to increase height by yoga is practicing Trikonasana or the Triangle pose. As the name suggests, this pose gives your body a triangular shape. This standing forward bend is highly effective for short people as it increases body height at a rapid pace. Trikonasana is recommended to be practiced in the morning on an empty stomach and the eyes should be kept open in order to maintain the balance of the body during the practice.
How to do:
- Stand erect on the floor with your feet together, hands at the sides of your body and head straight.
- While breathing in deeply, move your legs 3 or 4-feet apart.
- Stretch your arms straight out to the sides and bring them in line with your shoulders. They should also be parallel to the ground with your palms facing downwards.
- Extend the right foot outwards and turn the left foot slightly inwards while keeping your knees straight.
- Now, bend the trunk to the right side slowly and steadily without going in the forward direction. Your right hand should reach your right ankle with the palm resting on the floor. Do not force it beyond your body limits.
- Extend your left hand vertically and move your head up while looking straight.
- Hold the pose for 30 seconds.
- Return to the upright position slowly and gently.
To get taller yoga is highly recommended; however, it should always be practiced under expert guidance. This helps in avoiding different kinds of physical and/or emotional complications. If you are unhappy with your natural height, do not worry anymore as you can grow taller by following our 6 effective tips to increase height with yoga.