What do you think if someone says you can increase height through exercise? In fact, it is totally possible to increase height with exercise as the key to height growth lies in the decompression of your vertebrae. Due to gravity and poor posture, the vertebrae within your body are compressed, which gradually results in height loss. Besides, apart from genes and hormones, your height growth is also under the influence of the environment, exercise, and nutrition. Therefore, with determination and a proper workout routine, you can gain a few inches even in your mid-twenties. Check out this article to explore 5 simple exercises to increase height.
Is it possible to increase height by exercise after 18?
To be honest, it is not easy to increase height once you are over 18 years old. Yet, height growth varies between different individuals and naturally happens until your growth plates completely close. Hence, during puberty, to increase height exercise is highly recommended so that you can achieve your height potential.
5 best exercise to increase height
Of the various exercises to tone your body and make you fit, there are a few that aim at removing the decompression on your vertebrae and rectifying your posture, thereby increasing your height. Below are 5 simple exercises to increase height with pictures and instructions suggested for you.
Puppy pose is an exercise that helps stretch your spine and shoulders and make them more flexible. In addition to increasing height, this pose also relieves symptoms of chronic stress, tension, and insomnia.
How to do:
- Get down on all fours.
- Make sure that your shoulders are placed right above your wrists and hips over your knees.
- Exhale, then slowly move your buttocks halfway back towards your heels.
- Relax your neck and lower your head towards the floor.
- As you breathe, you can feel the stretching of your spine, shoulders, upper arms, and abdominal muscles.
Low lunge pose
Another way to increase height by exercise is to practice the low lunge pose. This exercise tones your arms and stretches your calf and back muscles. In doing so, it also increases your height if done regularly.
How to do:
- As you exhale, step your right foot forward between your hands, aligning the right knee over the heel.
- Lower your left knee to the floor and while keeping the right knee fixed in place, slide the left one back until you feel a comfortable stretch in the left front thigh and groin.
- Turn the top of your left foot to the floor.
- Inhale and put your hands on the right knee, then slowly bend backward.
- Put your hands up in a namaskar position and inhale. Stay in that position for as long as you can.
- Then slowly let your upper body come to an erect position, put your arms down and come back to kneeling. Exhale.
- Repeat the whole process with your left knee forward and your right knee stretched at the back.
- You can do 3 sets in the beginning and increase the number of sets gradually.
It would not be a complete increase height best exercise list without the mermaid stretch. Mermaid stretches allow your oblique, shoulders, and inner thighs to be stretched. It also lengthens the muscles between your ribs and pelvis. All the twisting and bending in this exercise eventually helps you to increase height.
How to do:
- Sit down on the yoga mat.
- Fold your legs away from each other, one in the front and one facing the back.
- Place your left palm on the floor and stretch sideways with your right arm.
- Maintain the stretch from 10 to 20 seconds.
- Repeat the same process for the other side.
- Do at least 15 sets of these stretches.
This exercise is a perfect combination of jumping and squats. It facilitates the conditioning of your lower body muscles and joints, hence increasing height.
How to do:
- Stand erect and place your hands at the back of your neck.
- Slowly bend downward, forming a squat.
- Now, jump towards the ceiling while keeping your hands at the back of your neck and your knees straight.
- Repeat the same procedure for 10 to 15 times.
Side planks are a bit difficult to master, but with regular practice, you can achieve the desired result with this exercise. As it puts pressure on your calf, hand, and pelvic muscles, side planks contribute to your height growth considerably.
How to do:
- Lie sideways on the floor.
- Lift your upper body while balancing it on the left palm and legs one over the other.
- Slowly raise your hips, having your head, hips, and legs forming a straight line.
- Put your right hand over your head, folding your elbow.
- Lift your right leg and bend the right elbow to touch it.
- Hold the position for 2 or 3 seconds, then get back to the plank position.
- Perform 10 sets on both sides.
With our list of 5 exercise to increase height, you can totally achieve your maximum height. These height increasing exercises are practical and proven to be effective for most people. It takes time for you to achieve your desired height. So, keep practicing the exercises and make some healthy changes to your lifestyle to grow taller!